Sunday 28 July 2013

Design Process

After attending yesterdays course at Northcity4 (Which was fantastic by the way!) I have been thinking about how I approach the design aspect of jewellery making.
Previously I get out what ever stone it is I want to use. Sit down with it, and what silver I have to work with, and draw a few ideas from there.
This method works fine when thinking of the pieces as individuals but the course I attended was titled: Produce: Present: Sell
This has prompted me to look at the whole process very differently.
In a gallery environment (which is my ultimate goal) your pieces are grouped together as a range.
This means I need to stop thinking of each piece as a separate form from the others and somehow make them gel as a group.
The plan?
Go through all my sketch books. Photocopy the completed designs so I can lay them all out on the coffee table and view them all together for the first time ever!
At the moment the designs are scattered throughout 6 or 7 sketch books so I have never consciously looked for similarities. It should be an interesting exercise.



No comments:

Post a Comment